Savage was established in 1898 in Middle Park Victoria, with a range of wooden boats (yachts up to 100ft). The business survived recessions and expansions, and trends in the industry. The Savage family split in the early 70’s when they had 3 factories – cruisers from 24-42ft; aluminium from 8-18ft and fibreglass runabouts from 12-21ft (ended in 1980).
The Ranger debuted in 1972, remaining in production for almost a decade. This hull was produced in the expressed version, and a fly bridge version.
During the 1980’s recession, overseas interests were explored, and at one point Savage had 26% of the Japanese market.
In 1981, Savage auctioned off its cruiser moulds and focussed on aluminium commercial boats. In the mid 80’s, the Savage 24 mould was purchased and bought back to Perth where only a few boats were manufactured over a 10 year period – sitting in a yard for almost 20 years until we came along.
We’ve now made her our own by:
- Raising the freeboard 200mm;
- Handcrafting a new sheerline;
- Reshaping of the stem; and
- Modifying the running surface with a three stage V-pad. This has enhanced the hole shot onto the plane, and will enable cruising speed while carrying heavy loads.
We have used the fundamental hull designed by Jack Savage, and bought her into a modern era to create a bluewater weapon equipped for all waters.